This year I’m going to try to write a little review of at least my #2018makenine choices. A couple of weeks into January and I’ve ticked the first one off my list!
Datura Blouse by Deer and Doe Patterns. I liked the look of this pattern because of the little details such as the half button back and the choice of cut out neckline or Peter pan collar. After making up view A, I immediately went back and made a second blouse in view B because I like it so much.
View A: I used a cotton (possibly cotton lawn, can’t remember!) I bought ages ago. I think it was originally intended for a skirt but has been sitting in my fabric box for almost a year so it was time to use it up.
View B: I made using an atelier brunette cotton lawn and some leftover Swiss Dot fabric for the collar.
I checked the back of the packet for my body measurements, then when I looked at the finished garment measurements I decided to size down for a closer fit. I also finished it a wee bit differently to the instructions by using a fold over hem rather than a bias binding finish. (mostly because it turns out I didn’t cut enough bias binding!) and because I chose to overlocker the seam allowances I joined the hems of my facing and yoke together on the inside of the blouse.
I got in a bit of a muddle when it came to the cutting out for view A because of the single short bias template strip. In the past every pattern I’ve used has had a full size template ready to lay on top of fabric and cut around. So it turned out I didn’t get quite the right amount of binding made so just skipped the binding on the hem.
I found a couple of the instructions confusing to begin with and reread them a few times, particularly around the section where the front and back straps are joined together. However when I came to make the blouse the second time in view B it was really straight forward so I’d attribute my confusion first time around to me getting used to a new pattern company.
I finished all my raw edges with my overlocker and was quite pleased with my topstitching.
How long did it take to make?
Not that long, my sewing time over the last week was quite fractured so I think I made view A over the course of around 4 evening sewing sessions of around 60-90 mins at a time. That included time to choose a size and trace and cut pattern pieces. When I came to make view B I made this up in 3 sessions, one cutting and 2 stitching.
The fit is nice! I’m glad I chose to size down for this one. The button back pulls it in just the right amount at the waist.
I’ve worn both my Datura blouses to work and paired them with both black and blue jeans and a cardigan. They would work well tucked into a skirt as well.
Any changes for next time
When I made my second Datura in view B the fabric I chose was more drapey and this improved the overall garment. As with both these makes I think I’d just skip the binding on the hemline next time as well and finish it with a normal hem.